Your Legal Allies In Child Custody Cases
Your child custody arrangement can have a major impact on your life and your kids’ lives. It’s well worth investing the time, thoughtfulness and energy now into pursuing a parenting plan that will work well for your family. We can help you do that.
At Schimizzi Law, LLC, our lawyers are strong allies for those navigating custody issues, whether contested or uncontested. We handle custody cases in the context of divorce, unmarried parent separation and paternity.
Our family lawyers can provide the guidance you need to make sense of your options and make good decisions. We want you to feel good about the parenting plan, and we will work hard to ensure that your rights as a parent – and the best interests of your kids – are reflected in the custody arrangement.
Child Custody Basics In Pennsylvania
It’s good to be aware of the types of custody arrangements. There are two broad categories of custody in Pennsylvania:
- Physical custody refers to the physical placement of the children and the parenting time schedule.
- Legal custody refers to the decision-making authority of each parent.
Joint custody is typically the favored arrangement in Pennsylvania. However, custody is ultimately based on the best interests of the children. When courts make determinations of what type of custody arrangement is in the best interests of the children, they will look at factors such as:
- Each parent’s capacity to provide for the children in a loving, supportive manner
- Each parent’s ability to address the children’s needs, including any special needs
- The children’s stability with regard to housing, education, extracurricular activities, extended family members and other sources of support
- The ability of each parent to foster the children’s positive relationship with the other parent
- Any history of drug abuse, alcohol abuse or domestic violence
In many cases, it may be possible and preferable to reach an agreement about a suitable custody arrangement. Our attorneys can help you pursue an agreement, if appropriate. We can also represent you in court if needed.
Custody Modifications And Relocations
Life changes may warrant revisiting an existing parenting plan. Our attorneys can help you navigate custody modifications such as relocations.
Get Help With Your Custody Situation
At Schimizzi Law, LLC, you will find the supportive guidance you need to address any custody concerns. Learn more about how we can help you. You can send our team an email or call our office in Greensburg at 724-838-9722.